What are the basic website requirements that need to be considered when it comes to designing your website?
Designing your website can be fun and promises to bring your company added success. However, for those designing a website for the first time, it can be a daunting task when it comes to considering all the basic requirements for a website. Here are all the basic requirements when it comes to designing a website:
- Content is the most important part of the webpage. No matter how flashy and aesthetically pleasing the website looks, without the content the website would be useless and of little value to the readers or visitors.
- Navigation is crucial when it comes to website design. Without it your potential clients would not be able to find out about you and your company. The navigation should be easy to use and clearly visible. Some examples include visible links to home pages, “About Us” and “Back” buttons.
- All websites need to have a search box, this is particularly the case, if you want people to explore and learn all about your website and services. The search box should be visible, working and easy to use.
- The date of when last the website was updated is also important. This is so that your visitors know how recent all the information is and whether or not all the specials and offers are still applicable.
- It is important that your website loads quickly. This is one of the most important requirements when it comes to designing and creating a website. To ensure that your website downloads within 15 seconds, it is advised that you avoid excessive use of images, animations, videos, flash designs and audio.
- The name and logo of the company needs to be included on every webpage so that the visitors know exactly where they are and what to expect.
- The design, font, style, content and other aspects need to be consistent throughout the entire website. Remember that keeping it simple and consistent is a very important basic webpage requirement.
- Must be attractive and appealing to your visitors. Use colours and an interesting logo to make your website attractive and memorable. Consider colours, images and design.
- The alignment of the webpage needs to be considered to ensure that your website is attractive and easy to read without scrolling from one side of the screen to the next. It is also important that your website is aligned with the purpose and goals of the company.
- The website should have good usability. This means that the website should be user-friendly, simple and reliable.
- All WebPages should have a link to the “Contact Us” page or have the necessary number. This number/link needs to be easily visible.
- It is important that you ensure that your WebPages can be read on a variety of different browsers and screen sizes.
A website is used as a form of advertising and it allows your potential clients to learn more about your company and the available products you have to offer. However, there are certain things that your website needs, to ensure that your potential clients are happy.
What it is: Java is a class-based, object-oriented programming language developed by Sun Microsystems in the 1990s. It’s one of the most in-demand programming languages, a standard for enterprise software, web-based content, games and mobile apps, as well as the Android operating system. Java is designed to work across multiple software platforms, meaning a program written on Mac OS X, for example, could also run on Windows.
- C Language
Because it provides the foundation for many other languages, it is advisable to learn C (and C++) before moving on to others.
What it is: C++ is an intermediate-level language with object-oriented programming features, originally designed to enhance the C language. C++ powers major software like Firefox and Adobe programs. It’s used to develop systems software, application software, high-performance server and client applications and video games.
What it is: Pronounced “C-sharp,” C# is a multi-paradigm language developed by Microsoft as part of its .NET initiative. Combining principles from C and C++, C# is a general-purpose language used to develop software for Microsoft and Windows platforms.
What it is: Objective-C is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language used by the Apple operating system. It powers Apple’s OSX and iOS, as well as its API s, and can be used to create iPhone apps, which has generated a huge demand for this once-outmoded programming language.
What it is: PHP (Hypertext Processor) is a free, server-side scripting language designed for dynamic websites and app development. It can be directly embedded into an HTML source document rather than an external file, which has made it a popular programming language for web developers. PHP powers more than 200 million websites, including Word press and Facebook.
What it is: Python is a high-level, server-side scripting language for websites and mobile apps. It’s considered a fairly easy language for beginners due to its readability and compact syntax, meaning developers can use fewer lines of code to express a concept than they would in other languages. It powers the web apps for Instagram , Pinterest through its associated web framework, Django, and is used by Google, Yahoo! and NASA.
What it is: A dynamic, object-oriented scripting language for developing websites and mobile apps, Ruby was designed to be simple and easy to write. It powers the Ruby on Rails (or Rails) framework. Like Python, Ruby is considered a fairly user-friendly language for beginners.
What it is: Structured Query Language (SQL) is a special-purpose language for managing data in relational database management systems. It is most commonly used for its “Query” function, which searches informational databases. SQL was standardized by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in the 1980s.
Web development refers to building, creating, and a maintaining websites. It includes aspects such as web design, web publishing, web programming, and database management.
While the terms “web developer” and “web designer” are often used synonymously, they do not mean the same thing. Technically, a web designer only designs website interfaces using HTML and CSS. A web developer may be involved in designing a website, but may also write web scripts in languages such as PHP and ASP. Additionally, a web developer may help maintain and update a database used by a dynamic website.
In recent years, content management systems like WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla have also become popular means of web development. These tools make it easy for anyone to create and edit their own website using a web-based interface.